Friday 17 October 2014

I may be killed now, German hostage cries out


This photo provided by the Abu Sayyaf shows German scientist Viktor Stefan Okonek, 71, with an assault rifle pointed at his head at the terrorist group’s hideout somewhere in Sulu province. - Picture taken from Inquirer website
Viktor.. Pic: Inquirer Website

German hostage Dr Viktor Okonek said he may be executed anytime now as the Philippines military troops surrounded the Abu Sayaff hideout in Jolo Island, The Star Online reports.

"They said they will execute me now in this jungle area if something to happen to them from troops who surround us at the moment," Dr Okonek, 71, told Radio Mindanao Network  in a live interview with him and Abu Sayaff spokesman Abu Rami at about 1pm Friday.
"I'm a medical doctor in Philippines for holiday. But I was kidnapped in Palawan," he added in a clear but quivering voice in the phone interview.

"My message to my family is ... my wife ... who supported me very much and made possible for me to study and practice medicine and gave me three wonderful children and I would like to thank her and I look forward to see her in heaven," Okonek said.

Abu Sayyaf has earlier threatened to behead Dr Okonek at 3pm Friday but extended the deadline by two hours if the Philippines government is willing to negotiate the ransom of 250 million pesos.

The group had also demanded that withdraw its support for American-led air attack against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq.

 Okonek and his partner Herike Diesen have been in captivity since April 25 when they were seized from their yacht sailing from Pahlawan island in southern Philipines to Sabah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions on any part of this blog/stories are not that of Olusegun Akinleye but strictly that of the readers/visitors.

For complaints, advert placements and tip-offs, contact me:
Email: mypenspeaks@gmail.com